Friday, January 31, 2020

Refashioning: How to transfer a vintage hood and fur to a jacket and a coat.

Here’s a quickie. This is one of my posts that isn’t quite a “follow these exact rules.” It’s more like, “hopefully, this one gives you an idea.”

So, I go to Goodwill every week. On one of my searchings, I came across this old worn-out coat with a hood attached. What got my attention was the genuine fur trim on the hood. Whatever your moral standing on real versus fake fur, I think you would agree with me that it would be better to reuse vintage fur, rather than throwing it in a landfill, right? So I bought this coat and took it home and then thought about what to do with it.

The coat was pretty gross, and you gotta think about how hoods go on your head. Right? Head lice is a thing, People! Therefore, I detached the hood from the coat and threw it in the washer and hung it to dry. 

(Little secret: You can actually machine wash most treated genuine leather and fur with regular detergent, as long as you hang it to dry and reshape it while it’s drying! Manufacturers don’t like you to know this trick, but you learn these kinds of things when you invest only a dollar in Goodwill finds! Note: doesn’t always work on suede.)



So what I noticed once I got it home was that both the fur and the hood itself were removable with buttons and button holes. This gave me an idea!




I live in South Carolina, and winter barely ever gets below freezing. As a result, I usually end up wearing this leather jacket all winter. I thought....Wouldn’t it be nice if it had a hood in case I’m out and about and the temperature drops suddenly?



I examined the collar to see where the best placement would be to sew on some buttons. I opted for right in the seam and under the collar. That way, they would be unnoticeable when I took the hood off, and easily removable if I ever get tired of having buttons on my jacket. (Read: In the seam, the holes wouldn’t puncture the leather.)



Fortunately, I had five matching black buttons in my inventory.



Here is a view from the outside of the coat. I started by finding the middle back seam for the first button, and then measured the other four buttons out from the middle.



When sewing leather, you should probably have thimble close by. 



Here are the buttons sewn onto the second jacket.



And here is the hood with fur trim attached to the second jacket. Looks like it was made that way, doesn’t it?



_________________________________________________________________
Second Idea: Fur trim on an existing coat.

So...just so that I could get the most out of the luxurious fox fur trim, I decided to make it “addable” to a dressier coat that I have. I really really like this coat and wear it a lot—especially with dresses. I had a feeling that adding fur trim would take it up a notch! 
(I was right! Scroll down!)



So, to keep the buttons discreet (for the times I don’t want trim), I sewed black buttons into the black part of the hood. This view is from the front.



And this is from the back. I can easily take these buttons off if I ever get tired of them without damaging the coat.



Look how lovely!



Super cute and cozy!


Now, go raid your Goodwills!

The End!



























1 comment:

  1. If you're trying hard to lose kilograms then you absolutely need to start using this totally brand new tailor-made keto meal plan.

    To design this keto diet, licensed nutritionists, personal trainers, and professional cooks have united to produce keto meal plans that are effective, decent, money-efficient, and satisfying.

    From their grand opening in 2019, hundreds of individuals have already transformed their figure and well-being with the benefits a proper keto meal plan can provide.

    Speaking of benefits: in this link, you'll discover 8 scientifically-confirmed ones given by the keto meal plan.

    ReplyDelete