Monday, March 4, 2013

Two Steps to Making an Awesome Salad Every Time

Let's be honest. Just because something is labeled "Salad" does not mean it's healthy. Most restaurants load the exact same unhealthy ingredients as on a hamburger, but since these ingredients are on a bed of gross lettuce, somehow that is supposed to make them healthy.

No.

So to make an actually healthy salad, follow these two simple rules:

1. Put on only things that you like eating. In other words, don't put on anything you want to pick off.

2. Make sure those things are 90-100% plants and 10-0% meat, cheese, dressing, and croutons. 


This may sound hard, because we Americans go to fast food restaurants to learn what "salads" are. (Think about the irony there.) However, if you just change your thinking a little bit, you can lose weight, feel clean inside, and not get sick so much. "But I only like one vegetable!" Then start with only that one vegetable. . .but try experimenting a little bit--you become a more interesting person if you can branch out.

Here is an example of what kind of salad I make for my husband and myself on a daily basis:


This one has red onions, avocado, carrots, cucumber, and tomato; all on a bed of spinach. These are ingredients that we actually like. I don't even buy lettuce anymore because even the nice green and purple stuff isn't as vitamin-rich as spinach. Plus, spinach is cheaper and more versatile for other dishes.

When they are in season, I put pomegranate seeds on which adds a delightful tart sweetness and tons of antioxidants. Other great ideas are artichokes, portabella mushrooms, colored peppers, sweet potato, cilantro, and asparagus.  You can even put on fruit, but make sure it is fresh and not canned, salted, or candied--same with nuts. Non-canned beans are also a great addition to a salad.

Whatever you put on it, make sure the salad fills up a big portion of your plate. Then add your "main course" to the plate after. I put "main course" in quotation marks because that is the American way of thinking. (Your main course should actually be the plants!) Changing these proportions, is key to losing weight and living healthier. 

I have been making these types of salads for my husband and me for over a year now and my good cholesterol is super high (even before I lost 20 lbs.), so it really works.

1 comment:

  1. "main course" is in quotation marks, not parentheses.
    You have been making these types of salads for "my husband and me", not "my husband and I".
    At any rate, an excellent read on the making of salads: whys, hows and wherefores.

    ReplyDelete