Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Chanel Inspired: The Split Sleeve Shirt/Dress

I used the shirts below (and Chanel's Spring/Summer 2013 RTW fashion show, of course) as my inspiration.


I bought the striped shirt from South Korea years ago and the pink shirt from a Chinese website. The pink shirt looks horrible on me, but I love the split sleeve idea, so I fused that idea together with the balloon bottom and full long sleeves of the striped shirt. When I get frustrated because I can't find an article of clothing in stores or online that I want, I start thinking of how to make it!



This is what I came up with. Originally, I wanted to make the entire thing out of the fuzzy grey jersey, but there wasn't enough material left (I had used some of it to make the top part of The Flashdance Dress), so I used the black jersey from The Coco Dress to make the arms and the band along the bottom. I think this shirt looks a little more Fendi than Chanel with the color blocking.



I actually used the striped shirt sleeves as the pattern for these sleeves, but wanted the shirt to look more cohesive, so I ballooned the bottoms of the sleeves to match the bottom of the dress.



I had a few tiny scraps of metallic from The Nude Shimmer Dress, so I put that along the capped part of the sleeve to draw attention to the shoulders.



Here's my "Cheap Walmart Knockoff" short cut to my earlier dresses: Instead of piecing the collar together the way I did for The Flashdance Dress, I just sewed a line through the top layer and inner facing to look like a mock collar. I think it looks just as good and helps with cohesion to the "Chanel Inspired" collection with less work. 



The back.



When you wear the shirt, it's not as obnoxiously split at the sleeves as when it's on a hangar or dress form.





Being silly.


The End.






No comments:

Post a Comment