Friday, February 8, 2013

Chanel Inspired: Nude Shimmer Dress

I actually have had this dress in the back of my head ever since I received all this fabric. Apparently, someone along the line was planning on going into business making underwear or lingerie, because there was a bunch of this filmy, slip-like material in hot pink, purple, light blue, and just yards upon yards of this nude colored fabric. Since this fabric is probably intended to make undergarments, I made sure to put a double layer underneath the top layer you see pictured so it wouldn't be see-through.

I finally decided to make the dress after going to Forever 21 and finding that light pink, nude colors are really in style--especially when coupled with metalics. After watching that Chanel video, though, the dress really started to take it's shape in my mind.

To make the pattern, I simply traced my basic pattern I've been using for the longer part of my 2fer dresses and then drew a slightly curvy line down the middles of the front and the back pieces (to make the silver panels). I used the same sleeve pattern from the other dresses and the bow pattern from the Nautical Dress.


Originally, I had planned to put the silver underneath a layer of the nude so it would shine through; however, the nude is not as sheer as I'd thought. In order to actually see any shininess, the silver would have to stand on its own. That's when I got the idea to do these long panels, which also help in an optical illusion to make the wearer look thinner. . .or at least, that's what I hear.



I put the same slimming panels in the back.



I continued the same bow motif from the Nautical Dress to keep the collection coherent.



Also, the same sleeves and the same band along the bottom.




No comments:

Post a Comment