Monday, April 22, 2013

Make Your Own Stretch Mark Eraser

The next three posts are a triptych of sorts. You can make all three in about 20 minutes, which is what I had one day between engagements. The first thing I made was a "Stretch Mark Eraser," then lip balm (Am I allowed to call it chapstick? Isn't that a brandname?), and finally eye cream.

These are the ingredients you will need:


Cocoa Butter - Helps skin elasticity and fights stretch marks.
Coconut Oil - Antibacterial and skin softening.
Coffee Bean Butter - Fights sun damage and wrinkles.
Green Tea - Fights sun damage and wrinkles.
Beeswax - Thickening agent and good for skin.
At least 6 lip balm containers.

(I've way over simplified what each ingredient does, 
but at least you get some idea of why I got each of them.)

You can find these ingredients and containers on Amazon and eBay. If you've been reading my posts, you will know that I already had the coconut oil from this post. I'm not posting the prices, because the prices are kinda random. I just searched for the cheapest ones that are the purest and from sellers with decent feedback. Usually, raw butters like these are cheaper the more you buy, but you don't need a whole ton of them. Obviously, the green tea and coffee bean butters are the most expensive, which is why my containers of such are smaller. My rule of thumb is not to go over $10 per ingredient.  I also knew I'd be using all these ingredients again for other products I want to make, so I bought the amounts accordingly.


How to Make a Stretch Mark Eraser:


I've read that other bloggers attempting this sort of project either had a double boiler or did a make-shift one on the stove. I decided since I didn't have a whole lot of time that I would use my trusty hot pot. While the water was boiling, I grated about a tablepoon and a half of beeswax. (The beeswax is actually for the lip balm and eye cream, but you might as well use your time wisely):



When the water started to boil, I added about a tablespoon of cocoa butter to
a small Pyrex measuring cup:



I put the measuring cup into the boiling water and waited for it to melt:



It only took a few minutes:



Then I poured it into two lip balm containers:



This is what the finished product looks like:


The last step is to put it into the freezer or refrigerator for an hour or so until it's hard.


Things to remember:

1. One heaping tablespoon of butter will fill two lip balm containers.
2. You could probably melt a tablespoon of cocoa butter in the microwave instead of a double boiler if you're really pressed for time.
3. Beeswax is super waxy and a pain to grate, so only make this for yourself 
and people you really love.
4. Instead of rubbing the "stretch mark eraser" directly onto your stretch marks (which can stretch them even further), consider rubbing the cocoa butter into your palm and pressing what comes off onto your delicate skin.
5. You could just scoop the cocoa butter right out of the jar and press into your skin, but if you want to keep your cocoa butter sterile, I suggest making these little "erasers."
6. I've had little stretch marks since I've been losing weight and mine are getting smaller after a few days of using this stuff.






No comments:

Post a Comment