Saturday, August 31, 2013

Dolce and Gabbana Inspired - Red Lace 3/4 Sleeves Tailored Dress

Dolce and Gabbana is going with a Catholic/Byzantine theme this fall and winter. The show started off with dresses printed in mosaics with motifs of saints and priests. All the women wore little gold crowns and crucifix jewelry. The show ended with the flood of Cardinal red lace pictured below. Several of the dresses caught my attention. 

(When I found 4 1/2 yards of red lace and a red cotton bed sheet at the thrift store, I knew what I had to be done!)




Here is a Dolce and Gabbana advertisement in Vogue for September 2013. Notice how the dresses have red material behind the red lace. That's the look I was going for. 



This is the cut and style of dress that caught my attention. This one is kinda see-through, though.



Here is a close-up of the same dress. I used this picture to figure out the sleeves.



Notice the bodice. The flowers are symmetrical and placed above the breasts (instead of on them, which would be distasteful). I knew that symmetry and placement were important, so I tried to keep them as I was cutting and darting. If you can't see what I'm talking about, scroll to the next picture.



I circled the flowers I was talking about.



Here is my dress. I didn't iron it because I don't think you are supposed to iron lace. I will steam it before I wear it, though.



See the symmetrical flowers??? That wasn't easy. That's why I'm making you look at them!



I also got the sleeves as symmetrical as possible. See the flower right on the ball of the shoulder?



It's like that on the other one too.



I don't know what the back of the original dress looks like, but I know on Project Runway they say that if the front of your dress is high, then make the back a little lower and vice versa. If they are both high it looks "Madame" and if they are both low, it looks trashy.



More symmetry in the back--notice the flower symmetry. Oh, I forgot I was going to put false buttons on the back. I was too excited to post it! I will have to post and update later. I also kinda haven't decided if I want to take another couple inches off the bottom, because I'm kinda short. I'll definitely post an update at some point.



This is a picture using the flash. I put a cross necklace with it as a nod to the runway show.



No flash.



The End!






















1 comment:

  1. It is good of you to point out the detail. Most of us don't realize how much it takes for something to appear effortless.

    ReplyDelete