Friday, August 16, 2013

Chanel Inspired - Patent Leather Skirt

I have been reading many many fashion magazines lately. I know. . .I should read books. . .Anyways, Chanel and other designers keep making these unlikely full leather skirts for fall. We are all used to leather making a nice pencil skirt, and then there were those A-line skirts that Gap kept selling during the 90s. Nowadays, it seems that designers are adding even more volume into leather--even making ball gowns with the stuff! That seems absurd, but it got me to wondering if I needed one. Not a ball gown. A skirt.

I had a piece of black patent leather from which I used a portion to accent on The Lady Grantham Dress, astute readers will remember. Anyways, seeing Chanel's new looks for fall, I got inspired to copy the silhouette and maybe I jump on the fashion train this fall too. . .but for no money. . .


Okay so see how that white is peeking out the bottom of the one on the left? I could only wear that with certain things, but I did like the white on the black. Also, the silhouette is a little obnoxious for every day--sticking out that far, I mean.



This is a better picture of a full leather skirt (the one on the far right). 
(These pictures are from the September 2013 edition of W magazine, by the way.)


This is what I came up with. It's a little toned down from the fullness of the skirts above (because there is such a thing as princessing people to death). I used the quilted white jersey (from this dress I made earlier) as the waist/hip band to help elongate my torso and minimize my hips. Also, the skirt comes down to almost the top of my knee so it's work appropriate. I didn't bother with a zipper because the jersey is stretchy enough to pull on and off.






I really like this sweater with it. Hard and soft. Notice my nod to Chanel again with the metal surrounded pearl buttons. 



I'm suuuuch a poser!



No comments:

Post a Comment