Saturday, January 16, 2016

Surviving the Daniel Fast: Vegan Chocolate Pudding Cookies!

"Pudding cookies??? ...wait...on the Daniel Fast?...What about *gasp*...SUGAR??" you ask.

Well, stress not, Dear Reader. Read on.

So my husband and I are about to begin week three--the final week--of our 21 day fast, and I am craving cake and coffee like nobody's business...so it's giving me plenty of time to pray...and also to be creative with what I am allowed eat.

"I want cookies!!!" I screamed...(in my head so I wouldn't be mistaken for a crazy person....)

Searching for an eggless, sugar free, gluten free cookie option brought me to a lot of recipes that were haystack-y or nugget-y, but nothing truly cookie-like...so...I decided I needed to offer the world a recipe that did so. I improvised. Since I was improvising, these measurements are probably not exact but are as best I remember them. Makes about 30-36 cookies (depending on how big you make them.)

Ingredients:
1. 3T of ground flax seed
2. 6-8T of water
3. 1/4c of ground tapioca
4. 1/3c cocoa powder
6. 1 1/2 bananas (around 1 cup)
7. 1/3c coconut oil
8. 1t baking powder
9. 1t vanilla extract
10. 1-ish cup gluten free flour
11. 1-ish cup almond milk
12. Nuts (to your taste)

Directions
1. Grind up flax seed in a coffee grinder. Add to mixing bowl with water. Stir. Set aside. (This will become your two eggs.)

2. Grind up tapioca in coffee grinder. Add to flax along with a splash of almond milk. Stir. Set aside.

3. Now preheat your oven on 350 degrees. In a separate small bowl or large mug, microwave your coconut oil till melted. Add the bananas and mash them up. Go ahead and grind the nuts in the coffee blender to give the flax and tapioca a few more minutes to soak up the liquid.

4. Now add the coconut oil and bananas to the mixing bowl along with the cocoa powder, baking powder, and vanilla.

5. Okay so...this next part is just to add flour and milk until the mixture is a nice dough-y consistency and it becomes fairly hard to stir. Add the nuts and stir one more time.

6. Put aluminum foil on cookie sheets and lightly spray them with oil if you want. (The coconut oil in the cookies works well enough to keep them from sticking too badly.) Add small spoonfuls of dough (they will be sticky) and put the sheets into the oven for 10 minutes. (Halfway through, I switched the two sheets on their racks to keep the cookies baking evenly.)

Done!

Notes:

- One thing that impressed me about them is that they came out really really well. Not goopy on the inside, but very spongy on the inside, crispy on the outside. Very satisfyingly cookie-like.

- They didn't spread out all over the pan, but held their shape--rather round. If you like flatter cookies, add more milk.

- They held together REALLY well even though I didn't use eggs. I attribute this to the combination of tapioca, flax, and banana.

- They cooked really evenly and didn't burn on the bottom. I think this may be due to the fact that coconut oil burns at a higher temperature than butter....but I may have totally just made that up...

- You might not want to take these to family/church events because people expect sugar at those things and while the bananas add sweetness (especially the riper they are), it's not what most Americans are used to.

- If you don't like bananas, try adding another fruit that goes well with chocolate like strawberries, applesauce, mango, or peaches...Things with a banana-like consistency when blended. (Not sure if citrus would work because of the acids, but...you can always experiment!)

- You just made cookies with no gluten, animal product, or added sugar (or sweeteners of any kind!); yet packed with fiber, potassium, protein, and skin cancer protecting cocoa!

The End!

2 comments: