Friday, March 11, 2016

Refashioning: Making Clothing More Functional - A Formal Skirt from a Dress

Hey, you know how it's a "thing" for kids these days to wear a formal skirt with a T-shirt or sweatshirt? Here're a few examples:



So here's how you can make your own formal skirt! (Yet, another way to make a skirt from a dress) This will allow you to wear the nasty old prom dress in the back of your closet WAYYYY more often! This post will help you make your clothing not only more functional, but also more current.





Okay, for this one, I wanted to keep the wide waist band, but if you look at the picture below, you will see that there is whale bone in the bodice to give it a corset-like stability. I could either waste fifteen minutes trying to pry it out without ripping the waist band (and still possibly rip the waist band), or I could just suck it up and make a thinner waist band.

I think you can guess what I did.




I cut it with pinking shears, because I don't care about inner seam reinforcement sometimes. If it's pinked, it won't unravel. Let's not waste time on stitching the raw edges. . .




I folded the band in at the waist and pinned it. . .Oh!. . .Remember to make sure that your zipper is zipped down past the waste before you start cutting, otherwise you will cut your zipper tag off!



This is what it looked like on the inside. Kinda messy, but no one will see it, so who cares.



The finished skirt!




This is what the finished seam looks like from the inside.





The End!







1 comment: