Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Refashioning: Pleather Skirt from a Jacket

I'm really excited to share this post with you!

So, I found this really cool pleather jacket for one of my friends. However, she informed me that she already had one almost exactly like it. I hate to admit it, but I was kind of excited, because I knew it would make an awesome skirt!



First, I lined up the front and back bottom hems and cut across the armpits. This part will be the bottom of the skirt.



Then, I cut a big trapezoid out of the top back of the bodice. This will be part of the top of the skirt.



And then I cut another trapezoid out of the front top of the bodice. This will also be part of the top of the skirt. I kept all the linings intact with the pieces I cut out.



I also cut out two rectangles of stretchy fabric for the sides. This will make sense with the next picture.



This is actually upside down, but I folded the pieces above in half and pinned them to either side of the trapezoids I cut out. (The picture shows that I unbuttoned the front piece, so I could lay it all out flat.



So, pinned together, this is what the top of the skirt looked like:





I sewed up the sides.



You will notice that it is gapping pretty badly at the waistline. Time for draping and pinning!



So, I pinned it and sewed it down. It lies much better now.




I like how the stretch fabric almost looks like a racing stripe. Notice that the bottom hemline is all wonky. I cleaned that up with scissors before moving to the next step. Also, if you do this project, and if you "got back" like me, make sure that the back hemline is slightly lower than the front, so that the skirt hangs nicely.



Then, I pinned the bottom of the skirt on and gathered it by doing little pleats in specific and symmetrical places: two in the front, two in the back, and one on each side.



I sewed it together. I think it's interesting how it makes a very unique skirt, but you can also see the remnants of the jacket. For instance, the front pockets are still there, and I kept the button placket intact as a means of getting in and out of the skirt.



Instead of hemming the top hemline, I finished it with lace binding. (Not pictured: I added two black snaps between the gaps in the front buttons to keep it from gaping when I sit.)



So, I found I could wear it a few different ways. This is with a sweater tucked in.



This is with a sweater un-tucked.



And you can wear it like a skater skirt when you fold the top waistband over.



The End!



No comments:

Post a Comment