Friday, September 22, 2017

Refashioning: Short-Sleeved Moto Jacket out of a Huge 80s Jacket

I love moto jackets, but I live in the South and cold weather is so short-lived. I feel like I only get my jackets out and it's time to pack them back up. I wanted a short-sleeved version.

Enter the coat below and a refashion!





See that smudge on the back? Don't worry. I'll fix it. This coat had all kinds of problems, including both sleeves had what looked like bleach stains on them.



It had a zip-in thermal layer. I took it out.




I cut it apart. 



I put it on my dress form to start sizing it.



I cut the back so it was shorter than the front.



At first, I thought maybe I could keep the pockets, so that's why they are sticking out like that.



I clipped up the side seams.



And sewed them up.



Using a French curve, I drew the curved bottom hem. (You could just eyeball it, but the curve makes things more precise.)




I topstitched around the bottom.



Then I clipped the sleeves how I wanted them. Because I'd removed the shoulder pads, there was a big hump on each of the shoulders. This actually allowed me to make cap sleeves quite easily as they were already shaped for me. (Use what you got!)



The finished jacket.







Oh. One more thing. I needed to cover up that smudge. I had a big iron on eye patch (much like the one I used for my Kenzo inspired refashion). I put a cloth over it and hit it with the iron just enough so it just barely stuck on in place.



Then, I sewed it on.



The actually finished jacket.





The End!







No comments:

Post a Comment