Saturday, February 1, 2014

Modification: Turning a Girl Scout Park Ranger Style Dress Into a Cute Jacket

If most of my posts live by the credo, "Make Lemons into Lemonade," then this post lives by, "Make Really Sweet Lemonade into Lemonade that Works with My Body Type." In other words. . .I really regret that I don't fit into this dress, but. . .it is a size 2, so. . .I guess it's understandable!


I just really love all the weird angles and design details. It looks like a girl scout/forest ranger from the future. Can you believe I got it from a thrift store for only 20 cents??? And it still had the tag on it! I guess I'm not the only one that it's a little tight on. . .



So anyways, this was another item I tried to sell on eBay only to get no takers. I didn't want just to give it away because it's so stinkin' cute! I really didn't want to cut it apart, but I knew I wouldn't be able to wear it otherwise. Well, I sucked it up, took a big breath, and started cutting:


As you can see above, I followed the diagonal of the waistline with my cutting. In other words, it comes down to a point in the front and the back and is higher up on the sides of the hips. This design gives the would-be jacket an edgier sort of retro/futuristic peplum. I also harvested the bottom seamwork, because. . .someone did just such a great job on it, I couldn't bear to see it go in the trash.


Here are some close-ups. I'm really proud of how it turned out. It looks like it was always supposed to be made this way!






I'm ready for a cameo in Moonrise Kingdom Part 2!




The End!







1 comment: