Monday, May 28, 2018

An Easy Way to Fix a Cheap Moto Jacket

It's Memorial Day. It's raining. My husband and I are finalizing plans for a trip to Scotland later this year, and so I am going through an old SD camera card. I came across some pictures of a blog post I never posted...so here it is!

This may never happen to you, but it may give you an idea for something else. But basically, here was my predicament: I had bought the awesome metallic red moto jacket you see below. . .



It was really cool, except for one horrible flaw: When it wasn't zipped up (like the photo above) the lapels stuck out like this:



Here is a side view. See how the collar part sticks up? Most moto jackets snap down flat, but I guess the manufacturer didn't think that detail was important.



This is what I wanted the jacket collar to do. Lie down flat.



Okay, so here's what you can do in this situation--especially if you don't have a grommet/snap tool or at least don't have one big enough.

First, I made a mark where the male part of the snap should have been. I did this on both sides.



Then, I found another jacket at a thrift store that had snaps the same size.



Perfect! Two male ends of snaps the same size as my red jacket!



I cut around each snap leaving a margin.



I didn't want the margin to be blue b/c that would conflict with the red jacket, so I "painted" them black with a Sharpie.



I glued each spot with super glue.



Then, I glued the back of each snap.



And pressed each male end into place.



I let them set for a second. Gluing them was not the fix. It was just to keep each piece in place.



With each snap in place, I took a threaded needle and then sewed them into place to assure they wouldn't come apart.



Now the jacket lies open like a normal moto jacket!





And if I want to zip the jacket all the way up, I just have to unsnap the lapels.




The End!












No comments:

Post a Comment