Saturday, September 7, 2013

. . .Another White Dress I've Gotten Myself Into

Remember this picture from the blog before


It's from the Chanel Prefall for 2013/14. Anyways, then I drew this picture:


I thought it might be interesting not to have to put another zipper in something fitted, so instead, I would just pleat the top straight down (instead of darting) and then leave a panel in the back open. That way, I could get in and out of it easily, but also the panel thingy would add a bit of interest. 



When it came to sewing it, I took the darts down a bit further than waist-high to make it slightly drop-waisted. Everything else I make is so high-waisted, so I wanted to do something different. People ask me how I have so much time to sew. This dress only took about two to three hours.


This is the side without the panel.



The back.



From this side, you can really see the slit panel thingy.


Okay, so I learned how to do something else this time. You see the eyelet holes in the fabric? It's the same fabric I used for the Scottish nightmare dress...Anyways, it likes to get holes in the points of the zigzag. I tried to piece the fabric so that most of the holes are hidden in the wrap around part of the back of the dress, but one of them was right in the front:


So I thought about maybe recreating the latticework with thread, but. . .then I got the bright idea to take a scrap I'd cut off and piece it into the hole. 



Can you see the scrap lying on top? This is the wrong side of the fabric, by the way.



Then I just stitched around the zigzag and cut the scrap down close to where I stitched.



The is the right side of the fabric. See? You can hardly tell, and you for sure couldn't if you didn't know about it.



Up close you can tell something's a little off, but. . .at least it's not a gaping hole!

Last word. I have a piece of unsolicited advice for the rest of female-kind out there: Wear a slip!!!! They aren't as archaic as you think, and they keep you looking confident and not gross.



The End!
















No comments:

Post a Comment