Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Couple Shirts Made from Two Skirts - Green and Grey

This one isn't inspired by any designers per se. I just remember an episode of Project Runway where the contestants had to make a similar look for a man and a woman. I was at work when I started thinking about something simple that would translate well for both genders' body types. I played with the triangle. If a triangle is point-down, it emphasizes the broad shoulders and small hips of the male. If the triangle is pointed up, it shapes the chest and follows the curve of the hips of a female. I drew this on a sticky note and my husband said it looked like Star Wars. . .


For some reason I always had this idea in my head using jade or a Kelly green. Maybe because the color is gender neutral? I dunno. I just love green. Anyways, I could never find the right color green jersey in any fabric stores, but I did remember that I had a perfect green colored skirt in my closet that I never wear. It was actually a skirt I'd made from a dress that I'd never worn! The problem with it as a dress: It was just too frumpy. As a skirt, the hemline was always wonky and hit my legs at a weird length. I really loved the color so I'd never gotten rid of it. Therefore, the third incarnation was destined to become two different shirts!


I had another grey skirt that I'd never worn because it was too tight. I found a perfect grey skirt at Goodwill a few weeks ago, so I had thrown this skirt into my sewing room wondering what to do with it.


Here are the two shirts. There are little mistakes in both of them because I had barely enough material to do both of these shirts, so some parts are kind of pieced together (see the shoulders of the girl's shirt especially). Also, the green was wayyyyyy stretchier than the grey, so there is a little puckering that I just couldn't help. I may one day reinforce the triangle seams with elastic, but. . .let's just see how they do without it for now, I say!



This is the back:



The original dress/skirt had this fold over in the front and the back, so I kept it. It helps add just a little something feminine without changing the whole "sameness" of the two shirts. Man fashion doesn't really like embellishment, so I didn't do it to the guy's shirt.




The End!













No comments:

Post a Comment