Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Chanel Inspired: Argyle Skater Outfit

A few days ago, my friend and former roommate, Brandy McNeace gave me a piece of this pink and grey argyle sweatshirt fabric. It was about 30" x 60":



It made me think of those Scottish Chanel dresses like this one:



It also made me think of this little skater outfit in a Clark's ad that I cut out a few months ago and really liked for some reason:



I also have been seeing a lot of dropped shoulder patterns for fall and winter lately like the one in this picture from October 2013's Marie Claire:



So I made this. It went really fast. I think pattern, cutting, and construction took about an hour:


I didn't do much to keep things symmetrical since I had to be a bit utilitarian within the dimensions of the fabric. That's also probably why I got it done so fast. Symmetry adds a lot of time to construction. The grey bands around the bottom hem of the shirt and the sleeves comes from that green skirt I used to make these couple shirts.




I did something different with the sleeves. It is sort of a modified batwing. (Most batwing shirts are constructed of one piece of fabric.)



Also, it is two pieces: a shirt and a skirt. This way they can be worn together or separately. (The elastic comes from the grey skirt I used to make those same couple shirts.)




The End!














1 comment: