Monday, January 6, 2014

Make A Pillow/ Blanket/ Bag Playset for a Baby Boy....and a Headband for Mom

So. . .I bet you thought I was lazy and didn't do anything blog-worthy over the holiday! Well, here's one of the things I did.

About a week before Christmas I came across this piece of really cool Michael Keaton Era Batman fabric at a thrift store:


As some of you may know, I am the proud owner of a new nephew, so I knew I needed to make something for him out of this. The piece of material was about 60"x45". (I'm not even kidding when I say that the man behind me in line at the thrift store, who looked like Santa before his hair turned white, gave me the money to buy it! It was destiny!)

The problem is that there are very few cool sewing projects to make for young boys. I Googled and Pinterested for about an hour and then just gave up and did what I had in my head to begin with. This project took about an hour from start to finish. I cut the top 12 or so inches off the top and turned the cut portion into two pillows (filling courtesy of an extra bed pillow we had lying around). Then I folded the remaining 30ish by 60ish piece of fabric in half and made a blanket. I left two holes in the sides and inserted parachord around the perimeter of the blanket and that way it could be both a blanket with pillows:



Or gathered up it could be a bag with pillows in it for easy transportation:


I like this project because it's really gender neutral and can be used by any child for years and years, not just the cutesy newborn phase. (Is it wrong that I can forsee him tying this to a stick and pretending to be a hobo?)


I had a few inches left, so I made my sister-in-law, a super-heroine in her own right, a Catwoman headband. (Sorry, I wasn't wearing makeup, so...the top of my head is all you get!)


The End!




No comments:

Post a Comment