Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Fendi Inspired: Color-Blocked Hi-Low Skirt and Shirt, Blue and Black

 I had not planned on sewing this morning, but last night, I kept playing with color-blocking ideas  like Fendi does. Also, this royal blue color from about two fall/winters ago seems to still be making appearances:




I would like you to know that the Fendi dress above is $1700. . .On sale!!!

Anyways, I have this royal blue maxi skirt that I bought on eBay last fall, but haven't really worn because it's kinda tight and I bought another one that fits better. 




Also, I watched the Fall/Winter 2013-14 New York Mercedes-Benz Fashion week video on YouTube and they had these hi-low skirts like this drawing I did (I can't remember which designer's show had them. Notice the shirt at the bottom. Look familiar?):



Anyways, before I went to sleep I did a couple of drawings because I've been trying to figure out what to do with the skirt--it's too pretty a blue to throw away. Yes, I wanted to cut it into a hi-low, but what would I do with the extra material? I wanted to incorporate it into a top.


I decided to do the shirt on the left. It took forever this morning to get the cutting done, because I just couldn't bring myself to cut anything. I'm almost completely out of brown packing paper with which I make my patterns, so I sort of tried to use patterns that I already had made, but cut around them differently. Once I cut the skirt, I really had to be mindful how to use the piece I cut away to piece into the shirt, because it was much smaller than I'd anticipated. Also, I was down to just a very small piece of black. The idea of cutting anything was scaring me. A process that should have taken two hours became like four or five!

Here's the finished product (The blue is like the skirt above. I don't know why it came out as teal in these photographs.): 





Here's what the skirt looks like on. My mirror is dusty, sorry:





You can barely tell, but there is a bit of hi-low to the bottom of the shirt too.





Below you can see the problem with how little blue I had to work with. It was supposed to go all the way down to the waistline like in the drawing, but this is all I had. Oh well. Next time!


The End!









No comments:

Post a Comment