Friday, October 25, 2013

How to Pack for Cold Weather

Since the holidays are coming up, and many people will be traveling, I thought I would take a minute from my packing (to visit Montana on a mission's trip) to show how a woman packing warmly doesn't have to pack a lot. The keys are to stick to one color scheme, pack lightweight yet warm fabrics like fleece and wool, and pack layers rather than bulky items. I've packed everything I need in a small rolling carry on and a large purse. (Incidentally, the carry on has a lock on it and an expandable zipper.)

The trip will last about six days, but with what I've packed, it could last longer because almost everything can go together in different ways. I'll dissect my carry on and purse in a second, but before I do, I want to point out what I will be wearing on the plane: Sketchers boots, a long-sleeved hip-length taupe shirt, orange skinny jeans, and a light taupe fleece vest. (If I get hot, I can take the vest off. I can also pair it with other items in my carry on later if I get cold during the trip.)





Now to dissect the carry on: The inside flap.

1. 5 pairs of fuzzy socks. These are essential for sleeping and really make a difference inside your boots when the temperature drops. They also dry within a day if you have to wash them in a sink.
2. 6 pairs of underwear and socks. (They can also be washed in a sink if needed.)





The Top Layer (sorry, Blogger put it in sideways)

1. 6 pairs of black and grey fleece-lined tights. These can be worn by themselves under long shirts and dresses or under skinny jeans for added warmth.
2. Running shoes inside a mesh laundry bag. I can use the shoes for exercise, but also as alternative footwear if my boots start hurting me. (Always bring an alternative footwear option. You never know how much you'll walk and your feet may need a break.) These shoes are Sketchers "Go Run" and they are super comfortable, but also squish up nicely into luggage. Also, the mesh laundry bag will come in handy at the end of the trip when all my clothes are dirty.
3. Thermal shirt and black sweat pants for exercising. In case I don't get very sweaty, I can also use these as layers under other clothes to keep warm.





The Second Layer

1. A small loofah and a super absorbent towel. The towel is about the size of a hand-towel, but I can dry my entire body with about half of it. I bought mine in Japan, but you can find these towels in most department stores and eBay. If it's still wet at the end of the trip, I can just hang it over my carry on while I travel instead of soaking the inside of my luggage.
2. Thermal underwear. These will be my pajamas, and also a base layer if I need it.





The Third Layer

1. Two pairs of skinny jeans.
2. A black long-sleeved shirt to go under things.
4. A taupe hip-length long-sleeved shirt.
5. A long-sleeved animal print dress.
6. A casual long-sleeved blue dress.
7. A black hip-length long-sleeved shirt.
8. A taupe turtleneck.
9. A green striped hip-length sweater vest.
10. A Mary Kay stand-able mirror. (In case there is limited mirror space.)
(Notice that all my shirts are hip-length. This is to keep my butt warm!)






Inside the Big Purse

1. My small backpack travel purse with lots of pockets. (Inside I have a sewing kit, some bags of tea, bandaids, vitamins, tissues, etc.)
2. My quart-sized toiletries bag. Always keep your toiletries bag inside your purse (not your luggage) for easy access during security checks.
3. My ipod, phone, and camera chargers inside a compact-able shopping bag.
4. A taupe fleece hoodie.
5. Fleece-lined wool hat and mittens.
6. A fold up raincoat. (Doubles as an outer to go over my winter coat during blizzards.)
7. An inflatable neck pillow with eye mask and ear plugs in the pocket.
8. A "Patagonia"super light-weight compact-able down-filled winter coat.
9. Taupe pashmina scarf.
10. Velcro wrap-around earmuffs.
11. Alpaca sweater.



I still have plenty of room for some last minute items like glasses, small travel flatiron and hair dryer, extra fleece hoodie, etc.

So, hopefully that gives you an idea of how to pack warmly, fashionably, and cheaply this holiday season!

The End.





No comments:

Post a Comment