Thursday, June 22, 2017

Refashioning: T-Shirts and Socks into a Quilt. . .Bonus: Hair Tie Elastics

Who would make old socks into a quilt???? Well, I'll explain myself in a second. Let me start with the T-Shirts.

If you read my last post, you would know that I made thirty of my old T-Shirts into a quilt. Well, I had a few more. . .And these ones had emblems on them that were too big to fit into my square pattern. You can see below that they would only work in elongated rectangles. This required a little more forethought as I needed to plan out how they would lie. See, unlike the squares, they weren't all the same length, so I had to configure them so that they would fit into an even shape on all sides.



Then, I sewed the majority of them into five strips. (And then I sewed the strips together, but I didn't take a picture of that step.) Like last post, I doubled each piece with not only the front of the shirt, but also the back. (You can see why if you go here.)



All right. Now here come the socks. See. . .I lived in South Korea for three years. In Asia, you can buy the cutest little ankle socks on the street for $1. Needless to say, I bought a bazillion. They were so cute, but I don't wear them anymore. Some of them I never wore. But they are so cute! I didn't want to just throw them away! So, I thought I would add them to the bottom of my second T-Shirt quilt. Yes, I washed them a few times before doing this!!! Don't worry!


First, I cut the toes off. . .(And the heels and ankle bands.)



Then, I turned each sock around and cut up the middle. Because these socks were much thicker than the T-Shirts, I left them at one layer.



Then, I matched up the folds and sewed them all into strips like this.



Then, I sewed the strips together.



Then, I added them to the bottom of the quilt top. (I did measure them all out precisely of course. I don't just do things willy-nilly!)



Okay, here's the part I didn't show, but just explained in the last post. I laid my jersey backing fabric down first (very important to use jersey and not woven), and then laid my batting down. I was running out of batting at this point, so you can see where I've pieced it together.



Then, I laid my quilt top down and trimmed my batting around the outside of the quilt top, but within the backing fabric. 



Then I folded the backing fabric over the batting and pinned it through the quilt top and through all the layers. 

I sewed the backing fabric in place around the perimeter of the blanket.



Then, I pinned down my columns at regular intervals and did the actual quilting step. (Again, read the other post to see what that means.)



Here is the finished quilt.



Okay, last thing...I saved the prettier ankle bands of the socks to use for hair ties! They make the best hair ties because they don't break your hair!


The End!








No comments:

Post a Comment