Monday, May 27, 2013

The Ralph Lauren Bed Skirt. . .Skirt

This is my first and only piece of Ralph Lauren clothing. . .and I made it! 

I had this Ralph Lauren bed skirt that I couldn't use on my bed because we have a base-board that doesn't allow for a bed skirt.


I keep seeing fashion shows and reading in fashion magazines that a great closet staple is a knee-length khaki gathered skirt. It's flattering on every figure and looks great with everything from a tank top, to a sport coat, to a nice sweater. I really wanted one, so I made one!

Here's a tip I learned from reading several other blogs: to make a gathered skirt that looks good on you specifically, measure your waist line and multiply that by 3. That's how much material you need. Even though this material was pre-gathered, I still had to baste it to gather it properly. I added a folded-over panel of fabric to the top for a belt-line and this is what I came up with:


Obviously, I couldn't wear it like this because there is too much material around the waist. I thought about darting it like the picture below:


But I have a very short torso, and I felt like this option would assure that I wouldn't wear this skirt, like...ever!

So then I got the bright idea to make the skirt in such a way that I could wear it two ways, as a hip hugger:



All I do is fold the fabric over and it fits the top of my hips. This helps me looks like I'm not as stumpy as I really am. However, the back had these two corners sticking out from where I'd sewn the zipper, so I sewed this decorative piece over to make sure the back lies flat:



Here's a close-up if you couldn't see it in that last picture:



But if I want to wear it with more of a high-waisted effect, I can also fold it back up, because I sewed belt loops along the top:


This give a cute retro, "bread bag" waistline look. 


As one last little touch, I even left the "Ralph Lauren" tag on the inside seam! Haha...


The End!










No comments:

Post a Comment