Thursday, November 17, 2016

Sunday School Craft: Lydia the Seller of Purple

Okay, today's is not awe-inspiring or anything. It's pretty straight-forward!

Lydia was a seller of purple. . .So, this is my craft:



For this craft you will need: cardstock, scissors, crayons, glue sticks, and purple fabric (or tissue paper!).

So, I could have just done this as a coloring page (which I found after Googling "Lydia Purple Paul," and then I stuck a verse onto it). But here's the issue with just coloring it: (1) misguided kids will color the cloth whatever color they like and misguided teachers will let them, and (2) the story will be made more concrete if you actually PUT purple cloth into the kids' hands.

So...anyways, because I didn't want to have to buy a bunch of purple cloth, and because the church already had tissue paper in the craft cabinet, I went with tissue paper!

First, I cut the paper into strips.



Then, I cut those strips into rectangles. (This goes faster if you stack the strips and cut through many at once.)



Then, I colored the page.



Then, I glued each rectangle onto the "cloth" in the picture.




So, as you do this craft with the kids, make sure to point out that purple cloth was a huge deal back in Bible times when most people wore brown or grey garments. The color was made from a rare snail that secretes purple ink. (That's why there is a bowl in the picture that says "Shells.") Each snail only produces a very small amount of ink, so in order to dye something, you would have to collect many, many snails. In fact, the darker the purple, the more expensive the cloth because more snails were used. This was a very costly procedure and so Lydia was a very rich and influential woman to be able to afford buying and selling this cloth. The fact that she accepted Christ, was baptized, and housed Paul and Company was a GREAT blessing to them and her community!



Just a word of warning: the picture is really pixel-y, and I couldn't fix the resolution. I wish I could have found a better picture, but. . .beggars can't be choosers!


The End!








No comments:

Post a Comment