Friday, May 16, 2014

Make a Dress from a Scarf (No pattern needed!)

My Type 2 friend, Abby, gave me this scarf one day because it was too Type 4 for her (high shine silver and black). I loved it, but couldn't figure out why I wasn't drawn to wearing it. It was perfect colors and sheen. Then, I realized it just had too much animation due to being so wrinkled.




So I simply ironed it out:




Then, I realized it was a very sizable piece of fabric, so I decided to make it into a dress!

You can do this too, if you find a scarf that is at least as wide as you are and a shirt that fits you.  Fold the fabric in half horizontally and then half again vertically and smooth out any wrinkles. (If your scarfs are all too narrow longways, consider folding the scarf horizontally twice rather than vertically and making a shirt instead of a dress!) Make sure that all your folds meet flush in the middle. Then, lay your shirt on top and cut around it (extending the cut at the bottom for a dress). Separate the two pieces, and cut the front piece a little lower at the neck. 



Then sew the two pieces together and hem!




Initially, it looked a little too feed-sacky for me, so I did little pleats at the shoulders and at the bottom hem:




The End!

1 comment:

  1. Wayyy cuter as a dress!!!! You're so stinkin' creative!!!!

    ReplyDelete