Saturday, January 10, 2015

Make a Sewing Machine Cover

I woke up this morning realizing that I should have done this project years ago...It is really important to keep your sewing machine covered when not in use so dust and water don't get in it.

The whole project took about 30 minutes to complete.

I could have used any fabric, but most sewing machine covers are made out of some kind of plastic-y material, so I found some sparkly table cloth material I had...(You know how you all have sparkly table cloth material around randomly?)...Yeah, so I used that. Anyways, I folded it in half and measured my sewing machine's depth and width and added that together. That is the baseline you see below. Then I measured how tall the machine is and made that the height measurement of my cover. (Actually, I added about half and inch to each measurement so the cover wouldn't be too tight, and I added another half inch for seam allowance.) Then I measured in half the width measurement at the top on both sides and also added half the width measurement up to the middle section as you can see below as well. (That was hard to describe. Hopefully, the picture below is worth the thousand words that I don't want to write.)

                                       

When I think about rotary cutters, I think, "Why did I ever cut anything with scissors?...What an ignorant youth I used to be..."

I first sewed the one side together. Then I sewed the top line together. Finally, I pleated and sewed the top sides and Voila! I was done. (I pleated the top of the cover because the top of my machine is narrower than the bottom.) I could have hemmed the bottom, but. . .I didn't. Maybe later, I guess. I used the finished edge for the bottom.

 


This cover is...a little fabulous. I was going to embroider something obnoxious on it like, "Sew What!??" and then...realized that it's obnoxious enough on its own.




Here is a close up of the side pleats.



The End!






No comments:

Post a Comment