Thursday, January 8, 2015

Homemade Chemical-free Toothpaste

So my mom bought me a "make your own natural toothpaste" kit for Christmas. I put it all together tonight. I'm guessing at the measurements because they were all pre-measured in the kit, but these are the ingredients I used. The last three I added.

1/2c bentonite clay
3 cinnamon sticks (about 2.5"ea.)
1T dried stevia leaf
2T whole cloves
1t Celtic sea salt
2t baking soda

(2 packets xylitol sweetener, 3T activated charcoal powder, and one whole nutmeg)

I simmered the cinnamon, cloves, stevia, and nutmeg in 1 1/2c of water in a saucepan for 30 minutes. Then I strained them into a glass and added the salt, baking powder, and xylitol. I added the charcoal to the clay and then mixed in the liquid till I got a paste.

I currently store it in a glass container in a drawer (away from light) and add it to my toothbrush with a wooden chopstick so as to be sanitary.

Apparently, the clay is super absorbent and shouldn't be stored in plastic or metal as it can absorb the chemicals and heavy metals. I'm a little worried because my toothbrush bristles are plastic...but I figure that at least it's better than using fluoride toothpaste...? Maybe? Hopefully? Am I gonna die?.....Moving on....

According to the instructions that came with my kit, cinnamon and cloves are anti-bacterial (so is nutmeg, which is why I added it). Stevia is a natural and non-cavity forming sweetener (so is xylitol, which is why I added it too...plus, it's supposed to strengthen enamel from what I've read). The clay absorbs bacteria and scrubs gunk off your teeth (so does charcoal, plus it's supposed to whiten somehow...even though it's black...?).

I know I sound confused in this post, but I'm actually really excited to use it because my gums have been receding for the past 20 or so years and maybe this will help. I've used it a couple of times so far and it feels and tastes pretty good.

I'll have to post an update at some point. Will this toothpaste solve all my paranoid health concerns or will it aid and abet my teeth rotting out of my head? Stay tuned for the answer!

The End!

No comments:

Post a Comment