Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Refashioning: How to Make Sequin Leg Warmers from Skirts

I like to read fashion magazines to get ideas when I'm bored of my clothes. I must say I haven't been too inspired by anything I've seen lately, except for what you see below: sequin socks!



I mean, they are just the weirdest thing, aren't they? Who would even think to make them? But they look so cute and unusual. . .so my mind started spinning.

I like the look of them, but. . .I wasn't too thrilled with the sock idea. I mean, socks can only be worn once and then they need to be washed, so I had an alternative idea that would still keep the sequins around the ankles, but not be so scratchy around the foot: leg warmers!




I found this mini skirt on the dollar rack at Goodwill.



And this velveteen skirt as well.



First, I measured around my calf and I cut the skirt you see below to that measurement plus one inch (for seam allowance). I also cut it as tall as I could get it with the fabric I had. Cutting through the skirt like this gave me two panels.



I used those same measurements to cut out two panels of velveteen.



Since the bottom edge of the skirts were both finished, I decided to use that as the bottom of the leg warmers (the pieces are upside-down in this picture). I pinned the adjacent edges of one piece of sequin with one piece of velveteen with right sides together.



I sewed them with the sequins on bottom. (Note: velveteen is tricky because it slides around, so. . .watch out for that!)



So once those seams were created, I unfolded both pieces and pinned the long edges with right sides together.




After sewing those seams, I turned each tube inside out.





The finished leg warmer. This project took about fifteen minutes.




And! They are reversible!



The End!









No comments:

Post a Comment