Sunday, June 30, 2013

Make Your Own Lip Tint Stain

I have been searching online for recipes on how to make your own lip stain, but most of them require refrigeration--no thanks! Other DIY "lip tints" end up just being colored lip gloss. To me, a lip tint is something that actually stains the lips for awhile, not just a few seconds.

Another issue is that most lip stains at the store cost upwards of $8. If I could make my own for pennies, and make it just as effective, why wouldn't I? I think I've come up with a great answer!

UPDATED RECIPE:

I have included my first recipe below this one, but since this is my current and most successful method, I'm putting it here at the top.

Combine 2-3pts. vodka, 1-2 pts. olive oil (or I've also been using castor and grape seed), and 1pt. food coloring in an empty lip stain tube. Voila! Perfect long-lasting, nourishing lip stain! (It will keep for several weeks bc of the vodka.) You can make straight red, orange, purple, and pink this way, but if you don't look good in pure colors, you can also mix colors to create nudes and earthier colors.




----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OLDER RECIPE: (It still works, but the citric acid irritates my lips, so now I do the method above.)
Ingredients:

1. 1/2 a Kool-Aid powder packet.
2. Vodka, white vinegar, saline solution, or some other clear liquid that will kill germs for awhile. (I don't recommend rubbing alcohol, because that is poisonous if ingested. Also, if you have children under 21, skip the vodka. Even though it's not for drinking, kids aren't going to understand.)
3. An empty lip gloss container--the kind with a wand.

I used strawberry flavored Kool-Aid powder for a nice bright red color, but if you like more coral-y colors, add some lemonade powder. If you like more berry-colored lips, add more blue raspberry. If you like more nude-colored lips, start with red and add blue and yellow till the shade browns up a little.

Directions:

Basically, all you do is clean out your empty container, add some liquid, add about 1/2 a packet of powder, add some more liquid till the container is full, shake it, and you're done! For the directions with pictures, see below.

1. Get a clean lip gloss container



2. Get whatever Kool-Aid powders you think you will need. I used strawberry (straight red) for this experiment, but I have black cherry (red with a little blue) waiting on hand whenever I run out.



3. Add a bit of liquid to the container. (If you add the powder first, it all sticks to the bottom--this is experience talking!)



4. Add 1/2 the packet of powder. (This picture is actually of beet juice powder--an earlier failed attempt!)



5. Add some more liquid till the container is full.



6. Shake it up!



7. Put it on!


It lasts for hours and hours!




Tips:

1. The only drawback on this formula is that the citric acid in the Kool-Aid can sting a bit if your lips are very sensitive. Mine got over it after the first day or so of using it, but if yours don't, I suggest using straight up red food coloring with some kind of clear, sterilizing liquid. Citric acid is a preservative on its own, so that's why I use the Kool-Aid.

2. This formula also makes a nice stain for cheeks, but I can never get it to work without looking like a clown. If you want a powder blush, go here.

3. Lock it in place with lip balm!

For a complete list of makeup DIY, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment