Friday, August 23, 2013

Chanel Inspired (but kind of not) - Leather and Jersey Shirt

Okay so, this one came from an idea I came across in Alloy magazine. 
I really liked the leather sleeves and how the bodice part of the shirt runs straight into the shoulders and sleeves as all one piece of material. It's interesting and different. Mine turned out a little girlier than this one. (It looks a little motorcycle-y in the picture below.) I wanna play around with this look for awhile, though, and have a few ideas in my head of ways to do it.


I said it was "Chanel Inspired" because. . .it ended up looking more couture than I thought it would, but I'm okay with it! I think it looks interesting.


I used the same quilted material that I've used before (here and here ) and the same patent leather as I've used before on things. Yes, that's the same skirt as here



This one took forever to make the pattern for, for some reason. I used a shirt I had to get the sizing right, but because the sleeve was so different, it took awhile to draw it properly. I guess that's why people buy patterns!



Close up of the sleeve.



If you notice, the neckline and the bottom hem have the same stitching, but the bottom is much more flared and the neckline lies flat. I learned a trick doing this that if you lightly pull on jersey fabric as you sew, the hem will flare out. If you lightly push the jersey into the machine while you sew, the fabric will actually lie flat. I know it seems like if you push it in, it will get all bunchy and gathered, but because jersey is stretchy and because there is tension in the machine, pushing will actually just counteract the stretch. I'm glad I thought to do this, or the neckline would be huge!



See the difference up there and down there?





No comments:

Post a Comment