Friday, February 26, 2016

Refashioning: Making Clothing More Functional - Fixing a Weird Trend

Sometimes, you find an item at the thrift store and you go, "Now that trend must've lasted about five minutes!" That's how I felt about this dress. From the front it's super Minnie Mouse cute. . .




. . .but from the back, it makes you go, "Crap!" and put it back on the rack, because. . .you can't wear a bra with it!



Fortunately, it's a simple fix.



The first step was to cut the twisted part down the center. To do this, I worked the fabric so that I could fold the bottom of the twist in half like this:



Then, I made a small cut in the fold.



Then, I worked the top part of the twist and folded it in half like this:



And I made a small cut in that fold. (I'm pointing at it).



Then, I worked the fabric so that I was looking at the untwisted band, flat, with my two cuts.



And I cut down the middle.



This cut allowed the twist to lie flat.



I sewed up the middle. Still a problem, because of that hole. If you don't mind the hole, you are done here, but I didn't want my bra to show.



I found a piece of fabric that was slightly larger than the hole.



I pinned it to the inside of the dress around the hole.



And I stitched it up. 

You may like the "before" look better than my fix. It's seriously a preference thing. Anyways, I hope it gives you an idea!



The End!







No comments:

Post a Comment