Sunday, August 20, 2017

Commemorative Eclipse Necklaces....(Leather and Embroidery)

So. . .my grandma is coming to stay tonight for the solar eclipse tomorrow, because I live in the "Path of Totality" for the 2017 solar eclipse. I've known she would be coming for a while. 

Like. . .six months at least.

So. . .why did I get the idea to make these eclipse necklaces for her and me late Saturday afternoon???



Your guess is as good as mine.



I didn't take step-by-step pictures, because I was in a hurry, but this is how I did it in a nutshell:



I grabbed some black chiffon, went to my computer and picked out a sun embroidery pattern, and with my Brother PE500, embroidered the sun on the chiffon with wash-away stabilizer.



While, the suns were stitching out, I went to my Cricut and grabbed some brown and black leather. I designed the trapezoid and the circle on Cricut Design Space and had the Cricut cut out the leather pieces. Then, I cut the suns out and glued them onto the trapezoids. Then, I attached the chains and stuff.

The (overly simplified) End.


These can be worn for eclipse occasions, but don't have to be. You can flip the little circle part to the back if you just want a sun necklace.




But I like the eclipse dangle. I think it's pretty dang neat! I mean. . .it's not like I'll have a lot of chances to wear this, but. . you never know! It's commemorative!




I added semi-precious stones to the extender parts in the back. Stuff like turquoise, jasper, and onyx. . .




Because leather likes to buckle, I glued a small piece of foam to the backs.




I still need to post a picture of my grandma and me wearing them, but she isn't here yet. However, I wanted to post this in case you had some spare time and wanted to make one of your own. You have less than 24 hours!!! Better get crackin'!



Here we are!



The End!













No comments:

Post a Comment