Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Refashioning: Altering a Trench Coat

If you know me, you know that I shop at the Goodwill dollar rack on Thursday mornings. The other week, I found the best thing ever:



I'd been wanting a red trench coat forever! As soon as I washed it, two of the buttons came off (above), so I sewed them on (below). I love the style of it: bold red with white trim. Totally me. However, it was two sizes too big. I could have belted it, I guess, but I hate when trench coats don't fit perfectly.



I laid my Red Valentino trench coat (which cost a good deal more than a dollar!) over it as a guide.



The first thing I did was to cut the belt loops off and set them aside. They were interfering with the side seam.



I turned both coats inside out and started planning out my pinning.



Once pinned (which took a while), I sewed up the seams.



A close up of a seam.



I cut off the excess.



Because the rest of the seams were covered, I decided to cover this new seam. I used black binding lace.





I also cuffed the sleeves. 



Then, I put the jacket on and figured out where the tops of the belt loops would need to go back on. You can see the pins.



I sewed the loops back on.



I put the original picture next to the picture of the alteration, so you could see the difference.







The End!







No comments:

Post a Comment