Sunday, December 4, 2016

Refashioning: Fixing a Tear and a Hole in a Jean/Pleather Jacket

This one might give you a few ideas in case you have or come across a perfectly good jacket with a hole or tear!

I found this jacket on the Goodwill dollar rack (as is my wont). I don't normally like jean jackets, but this one fit great, had silver metal, and I really liked the black pleather sleeves. . .



Except!. . .



And. . .(I guess someone's dog got to it!)



So, this is a way to fix both problems. First of all, with the sleeves, I cut out a shape like this from the bottom of each of them.




I used those shapes as a pattern for some black jersey that I folded over. (I also added about 3/4" of seam allowance.)



Then, I pinned the jersey to the cut outs.



This is what a sleeve looked like from the right side after the sewing.



The sleeves looked pretty good! But I wasn't finished.



I top-stitched both pieces to add a little Euro-styling to them.



I just think it looks more polished.







So for the hole in the sleeve. . .First, I took off the free arm of my machine and finagled the sleeve onto it. I zigzag stitched the hole up as best I could.



This was just to keep it from shifting and/or tearing more.




Then, I took some scrap paper (just happens to be an extra children's Sunday School paper), and sprayed adhesive to the back of a flower patch that my friend, Tiffany Nix, gave me a million years ago!



Then, I stuck it on the sleeve.



The spray adhesive held the patch in place as I hand-stitched around it.




Looks pretty good! And pretty current, since designers are all attaching all kinds of odds and ends to garments these days.




I think it looks pretty dang good!


The End!









No comments:

Post a Comment