Saturday, July 25, 2015

Oil Dying - When Other Oil Stain Removal Methods Don't Work


So, remember when I blogged about how coconut oil is the best thing for your hair ever? Well, it is. . .however if you try to put it in your hair after getting dressed, it can stain your clothes. See pics below. 




I was particularly mad about this shirt because it's Ralph Lauren, and I hadn't even gotten the chance to wear it yet!!! Grrr...




The culprit:






So, I tried many things to get the stains out. I tried rubbing Oxy into the stains, letting them sit, and then washing them and hanging them to dry. Didn't work. I tried lemon juice and vinegar too. Nothing worked. Those pictures above are actually taken AFTER all of these mentioned methods, so you can see for yourself that they didn't work. I was going to donate the ruined clothes to Goodwill, but I was super mad because I wear those blue pants all the time. . .



Then, I got the idea, "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em." 




I took my half used jar of coconut oil, some boiling water and a plastic tub and went to work.

First, I put the boiling water and oil into the tub and stirred it up till the oil was all melted.




Then, I added my shirt and pants and kneaded them and flipped and kneaded and flipped until they were fully saturated.



I waited a few minutes and then wrung them out as much as I could and threw them into the wash (on cold).



I hung both to dry. . .and I'm pleased to say that the pants look GREAT! I feel like the color is actually even more vibrant than before and the stains are completely gone.





However. . .the green shirt was completely ruined. The original stains were still there, and all I had accomplished was making new ones...





Oh well. You win some, you lose some! At least the pants were saved!




The End!







No comments:

Post a Comment