Sunday, August 7, 2016

Refashioning: A Girl's Formal Dress into a Box Pleat Cupcake Skirt

I found this dress....guess where...Yep! The dollar rack.

It is a little girl's size 12/14 ball gown kinda dress. It was too small to fit me (and I don't like strapless), but the fabric on the bottom was enough to make a cute skirt from. It is silver and black brocade, but it looks like that high end designer embroidery that is always all over Dolce & Gabbana and Valentino and stuff...



I cut it apart. I'll probably use that bow for something later.



Okay, so once again, if you do something like this, make sure you zip the zipper pull down past where you want to harvest fabric, otherwise you will have to put in another zipper. (Side note, I did this right and then two minutes after I cut the bodice from the skirt, I wasn't thinking and zipped the skirt up...and pulled the zipper pull right the heck off! So. . .I had to install another zipper. . .so what I'm saying is: PAY ATTENTION!) :)



The fabric was all crinkly from being gathered.



So I had to iron it.



After ironing, I measured myself and put in box pleats that would fit my waist. Then, I remembered I had an old college choir skirt that I never wear, but it had a really nice waistband, so I cut it from that skirt and pinned and sewed it to this new skirt.



The finished skirt!






The End!











No comments:

Post a Comment