Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Downton Abbey Inspired: The Lady Mary Lace Cut Out Dress

Again, this dress, like the last, is inspired by Lady Mary's Dress in the picture below (middle one):




As you can see below, it is much the same pattern as The Lady Mary/Anna Dress with a few important changes. The buttons, metallic this time, are higher and closer up. The sleeves are not pouffed at the top, but I just did two simple pleats at the bottom of each sleeve. Also, the skirt is much fuller than the last one. The most significant difference is the black lace at the shoulders. This continues to the back and delivers sort of a more formal "cut-out" effect. It is reminiscent of the lace on Lady Mary's original striped dress, but more modern looking.

I almost feel like this dress is a blend of the three sisters. It is the basic style of Mary's dress, but more of a color Edith would wear (it is a bit more of a reddish tan than the picture shows), and the sleeves remind me of Sybil for some reason.




Here you can see a close up of the lace. I cut it with the diagonal line going up and out to the tips of the shoulders to widen the shoulders a bit optically, and also to appear reminiscent of a lace collar without the bulk of an actual collar.




These are three of a box of metallic antique buttons I was given.




Here you can see the two simple pleats in the sleeves that I mentioned. 




Notice the lace at the top of the back. (The picture makes it look crooked, but it's not.)




This dress has the same side zipper as before, but I added belt loops this time. I am thinking about adding them to the other dress as well, but I'm kinda lazy. 





No comments:

Post a Comment