Thursday, February 21, 2013

Downton Abbey Inspired: The Lady Mary/Anna Dress


I love Downton Abbey...except for the third season's Christmas Special (no spoiler alerts from me!!!)... Anyways, I'm not here to discuss my frustrations with greedy actors (ahem...). I'm here to discuss how I love the clothes from that show, and to show my personal offerings of such.

Here is the first dress that inspired me (The one in the middle that Lady Mary is wearing). I really like how the costume designers dress her in Coco Chanel stripes. It really helps allude to the fact that young women in this era were spurning the over-blown Victorian gaudiness and confines of the corset and going for a simpler, classier look. The shocking rebellion started by Coco, of course...



I don't have quite that same striped pattern, but I have a couple others. The first one I used is this sort of grey and white:



That's why I called it the Lady Mary/Anna Dress, because it is Lady Mary's style, but the color and only three buttons seems a bit more Anna's fare. The collar is also higher and very conservative, which also seems a bit Anna than Mary. Obviously, it is must shorter than Mary's--just above the knee, compared with the Victorian ankle length--but I think it looks cuter, shorter. I also dropped the waistline a bit because my natural waist is high enough. Notice also the low hip profile.

I used the same basic pattern as for The Sound of Music Curtain Dress, which was just my modification of Burdastyle.com's Coffee Date Dress. I further modified it by squaring off the neckline and cutting the bodice into two panels so one could have stripes vertical, and one horizontal. Then, I elongated the pattern of sleeve that I'd been using from the "Chanel Inspired" dresses.



From the back.



I don't have the same lace in white that Mary's dress requires for the collar, so I just cut a doily in half.



Mary's sleeves aren't puffed, but I did it just for fun.



Again with the very short side zipper. (It bothers me that the bodice lines don't match up with the skirt, but...they couldn't once I put in darts on the bodice because darting automatically makes stripes a little diagonal.)



Escape hatch!



The other half of the doily, I finagled to piece in the front as a collar.



If you look closely, you can see that to keep the facing down, I sewed the top white stripe with white thread. You can't really see it, and that's the point.



These are the back skirt pleats. I didn't dart the skirt. Yes, it's lazy, but also with the side zipper being so short, I didn't want to develop claustrophobia getting into this dress, so I left them as pleats.



You can see the front pleats better from the side. It's kind of a weird profile having the pleats undarted, I know, but it looks better on a person. I just didn't have time to take a picture of me in it. 
Maybe one day.



I hemmed it by hand. Can you see my stitches? Nope. They are truly blind stitches, thanks to the white stripes!



The back side of the hem shows how I stitched it.



I debated over sewing a stripe of black onto the dress itself the way the original is, but then just opted for a patent leather belt. The silver buckle helps modernize the look.



The side.



The end!






No comments:

Post a Comment